Wednesday, November 23, 2005

VIRTUAL ORGANISMS: The Startling World of Artificial Life

VIRTUAL ORGANISMS: The Startling World of Artificial Life MARK WARD. St. Martin's/Dunne, $23.95 (320p) ISBN 0-312-26691-X
Artificial intelligence research has tried to make machines that think; the newer and in many ways more exciting field of artificial life ("ALife") seeks computers and computer-riv en machines that work like-or arguably in some sense are-living things. ALife "encompasses software simulations, robotics, protein electronics and even attempts to re-create the world's first living organisms." This compelling and easy-to-follow volume from the Daily Telegraph (U.K.) tech journalist Ward picks up where Steven Levy's Anti facial Life (1992) left off, surveying recent and classic AIr ife work in all its subfields. Bell Labs researcher Andrew Pargellis's "computer simulation of a primordial soup" produces "working, replicating programs" analogous to the self replicating molecules that colonized the early Earth. John Horton Conway's computerized "Game of Life" produces "CellularAutomata," self perpetuating, evolving patterns that model biological evolution. Cambridge scientist William Walter's 1950s robots "Elmer" and "Elsie," he claims, chased each other like cats and learned tricks like dogs: inspired by them, MIs Rodney Brooks makes robots that can explore the real world, "solving the same problems that animals face." Programs that replicate, mix with other programs and generate somewhat different successors mimic the sexual reproduction that has made possible much of our evolution: these programs, called "agents," may someday run telephone networks and other large electronic systems-with catastrophic consequences if they evolve in ways that are bad for us. Though he includes some scary scenarios, Ward is largely upbeat about the scientific and practical future of ALife in all its manifestations. After his sometimes exciting, always accessible exposition, his satisfied readers may learn to love it, too. (Nov.)

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey There great Web Site Truman, great post on VIRTUAL ORGANISMS: The Startling World of Artificial Life I have a great site to look at free web design, feel free to call anytime, thanks!

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Truman ! Non potevi esprimere meglio il tuo pensiero riguardo a VIRTUAL ORGANISMS: The Startling World of Artificial Life . Complimenti per il tuo blog, รจ davvero bello! Continua a tenerlo aggiornato! Se ti va di visitare il mio sito che riguarda scommesse sportive clicca su questo link: qui troverai solo scommesse sportive !

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good info. Thanks.

Regards,

The Stock Trading Animal
trading knowledge

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog.

Regards,

A Stock Trader
free trading software

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both
reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my toyota financing site.
Have a great day!

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my videogame downloads site.
Good luck!

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my stock option trading site.
Have a great day!

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola!!, Nice blog you have here. Come and visit my web site sometime if you like forex foreign exchange broker

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the way a blog site should be. Well done - great stuff. For your info come visit http://www.easy-forex-broker.ssr.be it is about forex accoutns Cheers!!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my stock market watch site.
Have a great week!

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my stock market quotes site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting read...

Regards,

Emini Daytrader
emini trading course
emini trading course

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my small business credit and financing site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my top gamecube games site.
Have a great day!

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my bad credit furniture site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my top 10 computer games site.
Have a good day!

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honesty is what's important - that and a good learning to trade forex strategy!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Linda and I used to lose money when day trading. I bought and read every ebook I could get hold of, but nothing seemed to work for me. Finally, I worked out my own successful system, and I now trade profitably. So learn day trading has changed me from a loser to a winner. It is so nice to make money when trading? I have learned to smile again, which is why I am so happy.

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good info. Thanks.

Regards,

Emini Futures Daytrader
day trading education

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Daly's jovial attitude is back. holiday Phil Mickelson is experimenting with Callaway's FT-I, and Annika Sorenstam, who plays Callaway clubs on the LPGA tour, is testing it too, but she's reserving judgment until she hits it a few more times. Although the Dalys filed for divorce late last year, they are trying to work things out. K.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be smart about parenting and provide better protection for teens, parents can setup keylogger for Mac is at your service.
To view the recorded images, simply switch the Video Ghost to flash drive mode, and it'll pop-up as a removable disk containing recorded JPEG s. You can also install it without ever being caught.

my site: keylogger free

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home